Catalonia's city of Sant Hilari Sacalm recognizes Armenian Genocide
YEREVAN, OCTOBER 23, ARMENPRESS. Sant Hilari Sacalm city of Catalonia has recognized the Armenian Genocide, the Armenian Embassy in Spain said.
“The Ararat union of Catalonia has applied to the City Council with the request to recognize the Armenian Genocide”, the Embassy said.
The Armenian Genocide perpetrated by the Ottoman government has been documented, recognized and acknowledged by eyewitness reports, laws, resolutions and the decisions of numerous states and international organizations.
There are numerous documents considering the massacres of the Armenian people as a pre-planned and thoroughly implemented act of genocide. Organizations like the Council of Europe, the European Parliament, a number of UN Committees, the World Council of Churches, MERCOSUR parliament and others acknowledged the Armenian Genocide.
Many countries have recognized the Armenian Genocide: Uruguay is the first country that acknowledged the Genocide in 1965. The following countries have condemned and recognized the massacre of Armenians as a genocide based on international law: France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Russia, Poland, Lithuania, Greece, Slovakia, Cyprus, Lebanon, Uruguay, Argentina (2 laws, 5 resolutions), Venezuela, Paraguay, Chile, Bolivia, Canada, Vatican, Austria, Luxembourg, Germany, Czech Republic, Australia’s state of New South Wales, 49 US states.
Edited and translated by Aneta Harutyunyan
- Blocking Armenian Genocide resolution in US Senate is a result of another deal, says expert
- Senator Lindsey Graham blocks Armenian Genocide resolution after meeting with US, Turkish
- Professor Ara Darzi urges UK government to recognize Armenian Genocide
- Greek President Prokopis Pavlopoulos honors Armenian Genocide victims at Yerevan’s
- ANCA to have discussions with US Senators to bring S.Res. 150 for vote after House passage