Trump’s advisers gave option to recognize Armenian Genocide as tactic to pressure Turkey - report
YEREVAN, OCTOBER 18, ARMENPRESS. US President Donald Trump’s advisors have offered him an option of “threatening” Turkey to recognize the Armenian Genocide as an option of not allowing Ankara to commence its offensive in Syria, a National Security Council official has told Newsweek.
According to the report Trump’s advisers “offered him several options aimed at fulfilling his desire to pull back U.S. troops in Syria without allowing Turkey to commence its incursion. One tactic on the table: threatening to recognize the deaths of millions of Armenians and members of other ethnic minorities under the Ottoman Empire as a genocide”.
49 US states, with the exception of Mississippi, have recognized the Armenian Genocide.
Turkey launched a military offensive in north-eastern Syria on October 9.
Edited and translated by Stepan Kocharyan
- Senate of the greatest country on face of the world should recognize Armenian Genocide -
- Egyptian scholars visit Armenian Genocide memorial in Yerevan
- Blocking Armenian Genocide resolution in US Senate is a result of another deal, says expert
- Senator Lindsey Graham blocks Armenian Genocide resolution after meeting with US, Turkish
- Professor Ara Darzi urges UK government to recognize Armenian Genocide