ANCA to have discussions with US Senators to bring S.Res. 150 for vote after House passage
YEREVAN, NOVEMBER 1, ARMENPRESS. The Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) is planning intensive work in the presentation and vote of the S.Res.150 in the Senate after the U.S. House of Representatives recognized the Armenian Genocide by passing H.Res. 296.
“The S.Res. 150 was introduced in the Senate in April this year,” ANCA WR Director Armen Sahakian told ARMENPRESS.
“At this moment the resolution has the direct endorsement of 21 Senators. We are working to raise this number and to present it for vote at the Senate’s plenary session in a speedy manner. In terms of procedures the Senate differs from the House of Representatives and the timeframes are also uncertain. It is difficult to say when it will be put up for vote,” Sahakyan said.
“Today, ANCA-WR and ANCA-ER coordinated yet another round of meetings with offices of different Senators, fighting to take Armenian Genocide recognition directly to the Senate floor”, ANCA-WR said earlier.
On October 29 the US House of Representatives adopted the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.296) by a vote of 405 to 11 with 3 voting present.
US Senators Chris Van Hollen and Elizabeth Warren have already called on Senate to also recognize the Armenian Genocide.
Edited and translated by Stepan Kocharyan
- Lindsey Graham confesses White House asked him to block Armenian Genocide resolution at
- Senate of the greatest country on face of the world should recognize Armenian Genocide -
- Egyptian scholars visit Armenian Genocide memorial in Yerevan
- Blocking Armenian Genocide resolution in US Senate is a result of another deal, says expert
- Senator Lindsey Graham blocks Armenian Genocide resolution after meeting with US, Turkish