Israeli President says Armenian Genocide and Jewish Holocaust are historically linked
YEREVAN, 22 APRIL, ARMENPRESS. President of Israel Reuven Rivlin has stated that the Armenian Genocide and the Jewish Holocaust are historically linked. During a press conference in Jerusalem, President Rivlin emphasized that the Nazis took advantage of the Armenian Genocide as something that allowed them to perpetrate the Jewish Holocaust.
According to “Armenpress”, The Tower reports that the President of Israel has given his consent to Pope Francis’s announcement about the Armenian Genocide, calling the Armenian massacres “the first genocide of the 20th century”. “I welcome the Pope’s comments. It is important for Christians, Jews, Muslims and everyone in general,” Rivlin said.
The newspaper states that President Rivlin’s position on the Armenian Genocide has changed throughout the past couple of years. “These statements by Rivlin will rarely contribute to the weakening of the tense Israeli-Turkish relations since Turkey condemns any effort aimed at calling the Armenian massacres “genocide”,” writes the author of the article.
- Canadian Armenian Genocide survivor Sirvard Kurdian dies aged 106
- President Sarkissian donates rare Armenian Genocide photographs from personal collection to
- Israel’s foreign ministry official pays tribute to memory of Armenian Genocide victims in Yerevan
- Motion recognizing Armenian Genocide put into debate in Australia
- Armenian Genocide recognition process is of great importance for Armenia – foreign ministry