Ankara links weapon purchases to April 24th
YEREVAN, 17 FEBRUARY, ARMENPRESS. Turkey is artificially extending the announcement of results of the weapon purchase tender, saying it’s due to the anniversary of the Armenian Genocide. Thus, Ankara is blackmailing the U.S., trying to engage the West in its dirty game. The Turkish authorities have declared that, taking into consideration the attitude of the U.S. and European countries to the events dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide, only after April 24th will the official Ankara make a decision on the several billion-dollar transaction by which Turkey will obtain zenith-missile complexes for its anti-aircraft defense system, as the Turkish Hurriyet reports, according to “Armenpress”.
A high-ranking Turkish diplomat has also assured that the Turkish government also wants to see the U.S. and French position on the Armenian Genocide and that only after that will Turkey seal deals. Turkey announced a tender for the construction of anti-zenith systems in 2009. The Chinese CPMIEC won the tender in 2013, after which the Turkish government started being pressured by its Western allies. Afterwards, Turkey started negotiating with Western organizations. It is mentioned that the American Raytheon & Lockheed Martin Consortium and the European Eurosam Concern are the contenders.
- Italian MP promises to campaign for international recognition of Armenian Genocide
- Portugal’s statement on Armenian Genocide is an important step on path to international
recognition – Vahe Mkhitaryan
- Pashinyan slams Erdogan for “extreme hate speech”, “insult to Armenian people and humanity”
over April 24 remarks
- Garo Paylan urges Turkish parliament to hold parliamentary discussion on Armenian Genocide
- France is going to contribute to recognition of Armenian Genocide as a crime against humanity -
PM Édouard Philippe